Matthew Jukes is cock-a-hoop over Matteo Ascheri's latest vintage of Dolcetto Vigna Nirane in his weekly column in Money Week. He says: "Unoaked, cool-fermented (this method retains fruit and lowers tannins) and bottled in early April – you couldn't get a fresher and more vital red if you tried. The man (in reality he is more of a bear) behind this wine is the great Matteo Ascheri and his dolcetto is one of the most exciting on the market. "There is black cherry, blackberry and brooding plum throughout this wine's long, lithe flavour and yet at no stage does it taste too astringent or raw. This is a sonorously fruity wine with a lust for life as frankly terrifying as the great Iggy Pop, and you'll know it is the greatest barbecue wine of the year the second that you lower your hooter into the glass. Buy larger glasses today." Find this wine. Browse more Ascheri wines.
Monthly Archives: July 2009
Job Title: Brand Manager
Reporting to: Portfolio Manager
Location: Park Royal, with regional sales & marketing activity and occasional overseas travel
To be the central conduit for information and activity across the teams, ensuring the most effective application of all available resources and maximising commercial success of the Brands. To be ‘the face’ of the Brands within all aspects of the business and the ‘go to’ person for trading and marketing activities.
The role will involve primarily working with Buyers, suppliers, supplier Brand Managers, sales, logistics, Insight Manager, events & communication teams
Maximise vinous and commercial knowledge of the brands across all Sales teams. Ensure channel strategies, aspirations and performance are widely understood, actively targeted and supported by the Sales teams.
Work creatively with the Buyers and Suppliers to agree commercial positioning, marketing, channel and trading strategies for appropriate wines or brands.
Support the Buyers in reviewing the performance of all wines and communicating success and challenges back to the Sales teams and Suppliers. Knowledgably advise Buyers and Suppliers on how to improve the performance of under-performing wines and communicate any changes to strategy to the Sales teams in a timely and clear manner.
Manage any Marketing or Trading budgets available in order to ensure maximum return of investment for both Enotria and the Supplier. This will include supporting the Sales teams trading in the market and regular communication regarding spend, success and availability of funds.
Regular attendance at Sales Teams meetings.
Work closely with any Supplier employed Brand Managers to ensure appropriate cultural and commercial integration within the business and maximise commercial performance.
Ensure changes to wines are communicated in a clear and timely manner both internally and externally. The changes could include vintage roll-overs, case size or label changes for example, and the communication includes appropriate Navision and website details both internally and any appropriate external communication, for example to customers or journalists.
Ensure that information on the wines is up to date and appropriate in Navision and the website. This information includes but is not exclusively wine and producer imagery, producer texts, wine tasting notes, food matching and vinification notes, press coverage and awards.
Ensure the wines and brands appearing in the annual pricelist feature appropriately and any supporting material is up to date and accurate.
Manage the Supplier attendance at any Enotria events or appropriate trade tastings, including invitations, working with the Buyers and Events Manager to select the appropriate range, invoicing for attendance and samples costs, proofing any tasting booklets to ensure correct and appropriate information is available. Managing and attending ad-hoc events that Suppliers are unable to support directly themselves. Ensuring clear, timely and appropriate communication is made with regards to the success or challenges of any events to the Buyers and Suppliers.
Support the Buyers, Innovations & Insight Manager and Sales teams to identify the need for NPD / category development and selecting / developing appropriate product for the business needs. This activity will cover multiple sales channels.
Work with the Suppliers, Buyers, Logistics and Sales teams to plan and lead the internal and external launch of new items and brands, ensuring clear and timely communication for all parties involved. This will include but not exclusively cover;
- Pre-launch communications including timing, position, marketing and channel strategy, Salesforce knowledge of the wine(s) in both vinous and commercial terms.
- Contribute knowledgably to the S&OP team regarding launch timings and potential volume requirements.
- Timely inputting of Navision information to enable website coverage etc.
- Support the Head of Communications & Events for Press & PR coverage.
- Manage and activate any external launch activities.
- Maintain a high level of general wine knowledge.
- Train new and existing staff when required.
- Establish and maintain good working relations and efficient, two-way communications with all colleagues throughout the Company.
- Work such hours as may be reasonably required in order to fulfil the duties of the role.
- Acquire up to date knowledge of changes and developments in all areas affecting your work by attending appropriate training courses and studying necessary literature.
Skills and abilities
Essential Desirable Knowledge & Experience
- Minimum 2 years working in commercially focussed role
- Experience working in the Wine industry
- Good wine knowledge with a want to learn more
- Fluency in a European language
- Wine trade marketing experience
- Experience co-operating with Sales and suppliers in a global business
- B2B brand management / marketing experience
- On or Off trade sales experience
Skills & Abilities
- Highly effective communicator
- Relationship builder
- Dynamic negotiator
- Commercial attention to detail
- Competent on Microsoft Office, specifically Excel
- Experience of using Navision
- Experience of updating a website
- Positive influencer
- Wine culture leader
Qualification & Training
- WSET Advanced certificate or studying
- Degree or equivalent in Business
- WSET Diploma
Incredible scores and reviews for the wines of Il Poggione by Antonio Galloni in the latest edition of The Wine Advocate. Singled out for particular praise is their Brunello di Montalcino 2004 . Galloni says: "The 2004 Brunello di Montalcino is awesome. This finessed, regal Brunello flows onto the palate with seamless layers of perfumed fruit framed by silky, finessed tannins. The wine remains extremely primary at this stage, and its full range of aromas and flavors have yet to emerge, but the sheer pedigree of this Brunello is unmistakable. The elegant, refined finish lasts an eternity, and subtle notes of menthol, spices, licorice and leather add final notes of complexity. The estate’s 2004 Brunello is a wine to buy and bury in the deepest corner of the cellar. Brunello is never inexpensive, but this is the real deal, and in relative terms, it is one of the world’s great values in fine, cellar worthy wine."